Frequently Asked Questions about TikTok
- What is the TikTok app
- Is TikTok the same as Musical.ly
- Who created TikTok
- Who owns TikTok
- How does TikTok work
- Is there a TikTok web
- How to download TikTok videos
- How to change a TikTok username
- How to delete a TikTok account
- How to film TikTok videos
- How long are TikTok videos
- How to delete a TikTok video
What is the TikTok app
TikTok is an online application for recording and sharing amateur videos, launched in 2016. Its motherland is China, but in 2017 the app became available for users from all over the world.
One of the most characteristic features of the service – a lip-sync option, so that every user can imitate a pop star or whoever.
Is TikTok the same as Musical.ly?
At the moment – yes, initially – no. That’s a long story, but in two words – Musical.ly was launched 2 years earlier, in 2014, but in 2017, it was purchased by TikTok owners and merged with their app.
As those two services had almost identical functionality, the “transferred” users didn’t even notice any changes, for them, their favourite application had just been renamed.
Who created TikTok?
A Chinese company ByteDance.
Who owns TikTok?
Well, the same - a Chinese company ByteDance.
How does TikTok work?
To log in to TikTok a user-to-be should either create an account with a unique login and password or use the one from Facebook or Instagram. The service itself works the same way as all the popular social media – you can navigate and look for videos using hashtags, usernames, and categories.
Creating their own visual content, users may apply various masks and filters. A lip-synching feature is extremely popular, but many “TikTokers” shoot funny or serious recordings without it.
Is there a TikTok web?
Yes, there is a desktop version. But you may only watch videos, uploading isn’t available here.
How to download TikTok videos on PC?
Directly – nohow. You should find and use third-party services to do it, for example - Online Video Cutter by Clideo:
- Open the tool in any browser. Click an arrow on the right side of a blue pane and paste a direct URL to the chosen TikTok video to upload it.
- Set the sliders at the beginning and the endpoints of the film - or really cut it as you want. Hit “Cut”.
- Download the result to your PC - or to your mobile device.
You may easily download a selected film from the application to your iOS or Android device, though.
How to change a TikTok username?
To change a name, you should log in properly, go to your account and tap “edit profile”. Then you may edit your username – just don’t forget to press “save” when you are done.
If the system shows an error, it means that someone else already uses your new username and you must choose a new one.
How to delete a TikTok account?
- Go to your profile page (“Me” sign in the bottom right corner).
- Select three dots in the top right corner to call a menu and click “Privacy and Settings”.
- Select sequentially "Manage My Account" and "Delete Account".
- Confirm the last choice by hitting Delete Account one more time. If any window pops up, choose “Delete”.
Your account will be deactivated for 30 days, during this period you can still change your mind and reactivate it. If not, in a month it will be deleted permanently.
How to film TikTok videos?
- Tap a plus sign (+) at the bottom of the screen.
- If you’re going to record a video, hit “Sounds” to call a music library, choose a song and tap “Shoot with this sound”. If you need some exact part of the track, set it with the help of sliders.
- You can just add a video from your camera roll. If you want to record, either press and hold a red recording button, or set a stopwatch, select a point to stop recording and hit “Start Countdown”.
- When the video is ready, edit it by adding special effects, changing the background song, adjusting the audio, using stickers, filters etc. Click on “Save”.
- When you are happy with the result, tap Next, add a caption, set privacy setting and, at last, post.
How long are TikTok videos?
From 3 to 15 seconds. Also, you can string several videos together, their total length shouldn’t exceed a minute. Alternatively, you may choose a previously recorded film from your camera roll.
How to delete a TikTok video?
Launch TikTok as usual, go to your profile, select the needed film, tap three dots in the bottom right corner to call a menu, hit Delete (a trash bin icon).